I traded in my old truck for a new model. Can I transfer my road tax to the new vehicle?
787 views | Last modified 7/30/2020 7:05:19 AM EST

Applicable To
Fleet Managers Drivers Leased Operators Owner Operators Brokers

Every truck owner must file Form 2290 with the IRS for every taxable vehicle. In case if you traded your old truck for a new one, you must file Form 2290 for the new truck and pay the required HVUT.

However, if you had paid the HVUT for your old truck, you can claim a refund on the HVUT paid. The refund amount will be considered credits, which will be deducted from the total tax amount while paying your HVUT for the next taxable year.

Here's how you can pay HVUT for a new vehicle using sold vehicle credits:

  • Log in to your TruckLogics app.
  • Tap Form 2290 (SCHEDULE 1) and then + to create a new return
  • Choose the appropriate tax year and First Used Month details.
  • Add your new truck under "Taxable Vehicle" and provide the required vehicle information.
  • Add your old truck under "Sold/Destroyed Credits" and provide the necessary vehicle information.
  • The adjusted HVUT amount after the deduction of credits from the total tax will be calculated.
  • Review the Summary of your return and transmit it to the IRS.

Was this helpful? Yes No

Sign Up for a
FREE TruckLogics Account!

Register Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 234-6946 support@trucklogics.com